Thursday, January 8, 2009

Why don't punks fall in love?

Just a few short years ago, ask me what I'm into music wise, what stuff I can get down to. Ask anyone at all, they would say Joe is a punk. I still have some punk records, I still love the Ramones. I listen to a much larger variety of music now though, there are many artists I have in my collection.

Everyone wants to paint the picture of a punk as someone that has no emotion, just doesn't care about the world or anything in it. Could care less about the government, and even less about love. I always cited one song in particular, which still stands strong in my heart, because I'm still a 15 year old boy on the inside, sometimes. That was a song by The Only Ones called, "Another Girl, Another Planet." Pretty amazing song, until Blink 182 covered it on their last studio album. I was bitter about that for a while, go figure.

Today I was listening to Dead Moon, because I love discovering new music, even if it isn't always new. They have a song called, "Crazy to the Bone." Here are the lyrics..

"Baby, baby, baby, come home on the midnight train
I been so long from you I can't remember when
I need you, little girl, 'cause I'm leaning on the wicked ledge
No matter how I try to get you outta my head

Time's running in on me
I don't care about security
Please won't you come on home
'cause I'm crazy, crazy, crazy for you down to the bone

Baby, baby, baby, through the eye of a hurricane
That's how far I'd go to see you again
The mystery telephone caller's dead on the line
Tried to get a message to you but it's been all night

Baby, baby, baby, come home on the midnight train
I'll be waiting on the platform to get you in my arms again
I never through you mattered, mattered as much as you do
I never thought being alone was being without you"

That sounds like something I would write. I probably wouldn't sing it nearly as raw as he does, but man, those lyrics are simple, picturesque and perfect.

Love,

The Only One

No comments: