Friday, November 21, 2008

The Interview pt. 2 (after)

Well, take a guess how it went. Okay, to be fair, the interview actually went very well. I did an awesome job in the application process. The lady said I did exceptionally well in the mock phone call. So in that time, I was thinking okay, this is awesome, I totally got the job. After all, it's a call center, EVERYONE gets hired... Right?

Wrong. They stopped hiring two days ago. Given the fact that it is a call center, they probably hire and fire the whole company within the space of three months, still. Imagine going through the whole process of applying online, then going in early, doing more tests, followed by an interview, just to have them tell you they aren't hiring. They have an ad in the paper saying they are hiring. You have a friend that works there saying they are hiring. You have an employment referring agency telling you that they are hiring. I don't blame them. It's fine, that's just business. In this economy, nothing is certain. It's just ridiculous to think that I banked on this job. A job I did not necessarily want, but day by day the job search gets more desperate. A job that I believed would hire anyone.

As I was telling my dad about the happenings of the day, He told me something that I always knew, but let slip in the back of my mind. Don't ever bank on anything. I needed to always have something for a backup. You never know what will happen or what anyone will do. Unfortunately this happened to me today because I was not prepared. As I left the call center I remembered that I had a paycheck waiting for me at the temp agency for last week's work. When I got there, I found this guy that I worked with on a one day job last week. The job consisted of a mundane task: Putting labels on light bulbs. Very easy to do, and very easy to get fast at. I worked twice as fast as the other two people there that day. Hell, I worked faster than the guy that owned the warehouse. Being the gentleman that I am, I figured I would ask how the job search was going for him. I found out that he had been hired by the company that I just left after the interview. He had gotten a job at the place I applied at. He was in the right place at the right time. This is just frustrating beyond belief. It just shows that you cannot wait. You have to be out there. You can't let time slip. It doesn't matter how smart you are, or what skills you have. A company is not going to hire someone less qualified, then find you and edit/undo the situation. They are stuck with the first person.

After that whole debacle, I thought I could at least go to the Salvation Army and find something there to make me smile. I got a tie hanger for 89 cents and some fabric that I think is quite amazing.

I have a dance I am going to tonight. I have to tell the truth, most people know me as a dancing fiend. I'm not very good, but I love to dance and have fun with my friends. Tonight is a themed dance, the Happy Days dance. At first I hated it. I hated the theme, I hated that my ward at church was in charge, I hated that I was not asked to be in charge of the music or anything for that matter. For some reason that all changed this morning when I was texting Chelsie. She just made my whole outlook change by asking me to help get some music for the dance. Not only did it make me feel like I was helping out, but it also gave me something to do.

I have a new design for a shirt that I think is pretty amazing. I'm a little worried about copyright issues, but not too much. I probably won't sell any, so it's just another design, but if I do sell some, that would be amazing. I don't think very many people read this, but I would certainly like to invite anyone who reads this or anyone at all to join part of the HSC purchasing family. I will have a picture of the latest design sometime this weekend.

Love,

The Only One

2 comments:

Chathum said...

Salvation Arm ROCKS!!!!

Chathum said...

I meant to say ARMY... but the arm of salvation is good to. (;